Fill out the entire form during one Internet session and select the "Submit Form" button at the end/bottom of the form to send your electronic registration to the California Department of Education (CDE). Once your form is successfully submitted, a "Transaction Number" will appear in a box at the top of your form.
Note: Heritage School Registration is not deemed complete until payment has been received by CDE.
Please e-mail CDE if you have questions about this form.
Only Heritage Schools (as defined in California Education Code [EC] Section 33195) should complete this form.
A Heritage School serves children who also attend a separate public or private full-time day school and who are at least 4 years and 9 months of age and no older than 18 years of age. A heritage school does all of the following:
- Specifies regular hours of operation.
- Offers education or academic tutoring, or both, in a foreign language.
- Offers education on the culture, traditions, or history of a country other than the United States.
- Offers culturally enriching activities, including, but not limited to, art, dancing, games, or singing, based on the culture or customs of a country other than the United States.
- Maintains membership in a state or national cultural or language association.
- Complies with relevant local government regulations, where applicable.
- Does not operate out of a residential home.
- Complies with the requirements of EC Section 33195 and maintains in its possession a copy of the registration form electronically filed with the Superintendent. The heritage school shall make this form available upon request, including to the State Department of Social Services, to verify exemption from child care licensure.
DO NOT FILE A HERITAGE SCHOOL REGISTRATION FORM if this school is a full-time private school, attendance at which would allow an exemption from compulsory education.